Why Las Niñas?
Breadth, Depth & Discovery
Las Niñas is unique! From improving your overall well-being to college resume building & essay writing, to career exploration and more. Read on!
New York Times | Does Helping Out Help You?
“Do Something, a nonprofit organization that promotes youth volunteerism,surveyed 33 colleges and universities among U.S. News & World Report’s top 50. The admissions teams distinguished among the type and duration of service seen on college applications. Seventy percent of them, it turns out, were more impressed by long-term local grunt work than a summer of volunteer work abroad…The three most appealing words were ‘commitment’, ‘leadership’ and ‘passion’. Also lending credibility: ‘engaged,’ ‘meaningful’ and ‘transform.'”
TeenLife.com | Why Community Service Work is Beneficial for Teens
The Personal Benefits
- Develops a global view of society and a heart for “giving back”
- Provides an opportunity to apply academic learning to real human needs.
- Builds relationships with peers, adults, and activists sharing a cause.
- Improves communication and critical thinking skills.
College Admissions Benefits
- Helps students stand out among other applicants
- Provides a topic of interest for college essays; emphasis on “why” and “how” a student has tackled an issue.
- Helps students find their passions and interests that may lead to a career choice they may have not considered.
- Helps develop lifelong interpersonal and communication skills.